The importance of having an accessible App is often not taken into account.Many developers focus on App functionality, preferring usability over accessibility.
They don’t take into account the fact that an accessible App can benefit everyone in that it provides a more pleasing and improved overall experience for the user.
In the long run this results in better results, as the application is able to adjust to users’ varying navigation needs.
What does this mean? A greater number of happy users, positive ratings, and many more downloads.
But what do we mean when we say “an accessible App”? That’s simple! We’re talking about an application that can be used by anyone; it is easy and does not place any limitations on its use.
So, what does an App require for it to be truly accessible? Here are some tips that will clarify what this means.
Tips to help you develop an accessible APP
The first thing to bear in mind is that for developers, App design should be viewed as a task that entails a good deal of responsibility if we want to ensure excellent user experience.
That is why it is important to work with a group of accessibility experts who can identify tastes, needs, and the contexts where such Apps will be used.
App development must always take into account different types of disabilities, which may involve physical, cognitive, auditory, and visual impairment.
In this sense, there are a number of guidelines (such as those found in the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) we need to follow in order to provide the required accessibility.
To this end, we’re offering 10 recommendations to make your App accessible:
- Good contrast between text and background Providing good visual contrast is extremely important. This enables people with visual disabilities, colour blindness, or cognitive disabilities to access the content more easily. We recommend a free online application that analyses the contrast ratio between two colours to find out if it meets accessibility requirements: Adobe Colour.
- Use of simple fonts This is key if you want to make the content found in your application easy to read.
The fonts that are most recommended are those such as Sans Serif, which is easy to digest.
- Always take titles into account It is essential to include titles that help users easily access elements or content not seen at first glance.
Moreover, developers also need to consider that some users may employ tools that make use of titles and descriptions to guide navigation.
- Implementation of help texts In order to enhance understanding, it is important to implement texts that provide instructions on how to execute actions in complex fields.
- Design of large and easy-to-recognize buttons This is helpful for those with visual and psychomotor impairments.
This means that users can click on a given field without giving rise to errors.
- Simple and clear texts It is essential that simple language is used in the App to optimize user understanding of the content shared in the application.
This applies to all texts that appear in the application apart from the content itself, such as instructions, error messages, buttons, notifications, etc.
Improve the effectiveness of your text content by avoiding overly technical language and jargon.
- Navigation should be easy For greater functionality and accessibility, the application should have an interface that is easy to use and highly intuitive.
This will increase user dexterity, interaction, and mobility, and allow them to perform the needed processes more quickly.
- Give your videos subtitles With subtitles, users who are hearing impaired will be able to digest video content.
This will also be useful for people who prefer to browse silently or who happen to find themselves in a noisy setting.
- Apply borders to visual content Visual content must be well defined so that it can be seen clearly.
Remember that contrast is extremely important and if the visual content blends with the background, many users will not be able to understand it.
- Allow for App customization We already know that users have different needs, so it is important to allow customization of App functions.
In addition, offering different options that make navigation easier is an added bonus when providing accessible solutions that allow for interaction.
With inSuit you can make your App comply with accessibility regulations
Not only does this enable the elderly and people with disabilities to navigate and interact through your App, but it also ensures full compliance with the various web accessibility guidelines and regulations securely, quickly, and simply.
Contact us and request an analysis of your mobile application. There is no obligation to purchase. Reach more people by through accessibility and meet regulatory aims. We are here to support you!